Things to look forward to in Texas
- Matinee movies with Dad - This is one of our favorite father-daughter traditions. Yesterday, we went to see Little Fockers. So fun and so funny!
- Max's Wine Dive - This was my hangout spot in Houston. It all started when Lis and I went there for brunch one weekend. Max's is known for their Southern comfort food and wine pairings. The waiter Joseph was a little perturbed that I ordered an egg white omelette. Fast forward...we became good friends with Joseph and Kate (the Great). Eventually, me and my friends gained VIP status here, and it became the place I went to for every reason. Birthdays, celebrations, time to unwind after a hard day at work. I met up with my co-workers there the day after I returned to Houston. We ended up having a 5 hour brunch!!
- The Apple store in the Galleria - I've been having some issues with my MacBook. It's 4.5 years old and needs some upgrading. I need some help from the Genius Bar.
- Festivus - This comes from that hilarious Seinfeld episode where the cast celebrates a non-commercial holiday. It's also a party my high school frends throw every year around Christmas time. We make references to the Airing of Grievances and Feats of Strengths. But really, it's a reason for old friends to gather when we're all back home for Christmas. Festivus for the rest of us!
- Driving - Oh, how I miss it. I enjoy driving because I am "in control" and can listen to music or NPR. I am in no way a "good driver" and am the target of many bad driver jokes amongst friends. Whatever. Driving is like riding a bike...you never forget. Now that I'm in Canyon, I can drive my Honda (aka Bailey). In October, someone ran into my Bailey at church (sad day), but Dad fixed it up. She's as good as new!
- Time - School keeps me quite busy. I look forward to having more free time without commitments. I plan on spending a good bit of time reading. Started a great book called Shantaram the other day. I also have neglected the stack of Economists and FT's on my nightstand.
- Baking - Anything and everything! Brownies, Hullabaloo cake, haystacks, jalapeno cornbread. YUM!
- New stories and adventures
- Borough Market
- Classes (I know, I'm a geek)
- Running in Regent's Park
- Catching up with classmate friends!
- Research - I volunteered to help an LBS professor research and write papers. I'm super-excited about this!
Lis - CONGRATS on finishing your second marathon. Attagirl! Rockstar...
Andrea - I'm so happy you're pursuing a PhD! To add to your undergrad, MD, and MPH degrees! We will just have to call you Doctor Doctor Cruz now... :)
Marcus and Morgan - CONGRATS on getting engaged!
Jamie - Glad you're headed to Duke next year! Just remember to scout out basketball tickets for me :)
Will, James, and Andrew - CONGRATS on your recent promotions. Whoop!
And finally, here's an article that one of my friends forwarded me called "Tribal Workers". Well worth a read. http://msittig.freeshell.org/articles/FinT_TribalWorkers.html