Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A lesson in generosity

I'm new to blogging and am not sure when I should write.  But, a friend told me to write whenever I'm inspired.  It's 2 am on a weeknight right now, and I'm inspired. 

I went to the end of term Titans dinner at Texas A&M tonite and drove back to Houston (hence the late night post).  This is the class where Britt Harris recaps the semester for current Titans and 60 or so prospective Titans who come to see what this special program is all about.  Former Titans (like me) are invited to help select the next group of Titans, and after class all 100 or so go to dinner at Abuelo's.

Tonite's class was special.  Travis, a gifted entrepreneur and comic, was able to get Governor Rick Perry to say a few words to us via video.  Kind of amazing that such a young guy is able to pull that off.  Since I'm a Titans I member, I was the oldest female in the room.  Britt gave me a few shoutouts during his lecture and referred to me as the "matriarch" of the group.

I still remember how I Forrest Gumped my way into Titans.  In my senior year, Jason Kaspar came to my Tanner Fund class and made an announcement.  He said that a successful alum (Britt) was starting a special project and needed students' help.  He told me to show up in an obscure office on the 3rd floor of Wehner.  Oh, and he mentioned to dress in business casual.  Praise the Lord that I ended up going because that's how I met Britt and the other members of my Titans Junto.  It was with this special group that we launched an innovative class at Texas A&M.  It is also the seed in which oh so many wonderful lifelong relationships have sprouted.

Don't get me wrong.  That last semester at Texas A&M was brutal.  My Titans group went to hell and back to get what we needed to do done.  But, it's something I'd do all over again in a heartbeat.  As I sat in the classroom tonite, I was inspired not only with the message Britt preaches but the incredible group of people who believe it and live their lives in accordance to it.  As always, we went around the room and did intros for the current Titans and the former Titans.  Many of the students had just accepted positions with Simmons, Barclays, MorganStanley, the Peace Corps, KBW, etc.  Quite impressive given that this was a bad recruiting year.  But, it wasn't the jobs or accolades that impressed me - it was the people.  Good people who all are going to make an impact in this world.  Two of them, Paige and Harrison, have accepted jobs with my company Alvarez & Marsal.  I won't be around to see them develop, but I know they are going to dominate.

I consider myself to be the luckiest girl in the world to have Britt as my mentor.  At our last Titans supper of my senior year, Britt gave the graduating seniors gifts.  The girls received large silver horses.  The guys received large silver elephants.  I don't care how much it costs to ship that horse to London...it's coming with me!  After he explained the significance of the gifts, Britt told us that he considers us to be a part of his legacy.  And that has been the greatest compliment I have ever received.

If nothing else, my Titans experience and Britt have inspired me to live generously - with my time, $, and talents.  To those whom much is given, much is required.  So, I will keep pressing on.

No comments:

Post a Comment