Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Funtime summertime

I have now joined the ranks of the unemployed :).  Last Friday 5/28 was my last day at work.  Leaving this job wasn't like leaving The Canyon News, Gap, etc. because I've spent four years with Alvarez & Marsal and LOVE the people there.  The culture there is unmatched.  My goal for the day was to not cry, and I didn't!  It was a busy day at the office.  Lots of people were in.  I had lunch with one of my fave managers, Courtney.  A couple of MD's that I really liked working with made it a point to stop by and wish me well.  Richard (one of my fave MD's) came by and reminded me of my second day with the firm when he walked me to my first client (we both ended up getting a little sidetracked in the tunnels).  Aaron was in the office too, so it was great fun catching up with him.  Then, I turned in my laptop, AmEx, and office keycard and left.  When I got home from the gym after work, Binita (my sister) was home.  She told me she had a surprise for me.  She got me a $200 Banana Republic gift card to be used towards a trench coat as a Happy Quitting Day gift.  Haha!  I have the best sister EVER!

The past couple of days have been pretty great.  I'll always miss the people at A&M, but I think this summer is going to be pretty awesome.  Don't get me wrong, I haven't had time to sit on the couch all day.  I've been working non-stop on scholarship applications, getting ready for my trip to London the first half of June, planning a trip to Peru in June / July, applying for a visa, and looking for a flat to live in.  I am an inch from going over the edge, but I have my checklist of things to do, and I'm knocking them out one at a time. 

Saturday was a super fun day.  I read most of the day and then went to get a pedicure with Binita.  Afterwards we went out for Thai and stopped by Borders to pick up the new Lonely Planet guide to Peru.  Sunday was even better.  David threw a "Eat Us Out of House and Home" gathering since he and Bret will be moving out of their loft this week.  I grew to love that apartment, and I'll miss seeing the crew there.  Jennifer, David, Ryan, and I did end up playing one last fierce game of Speed Scrabble that lasted until 2 a.m.  

I'm looking forward to the summer ahead.  It'll be a selfish couple of months in which I do basically whatever I want.  Parts of it are going to be expensive (e.g. Peru, London, California), but it'll be worth it.  Now that I don't have a steady income, I'm alot more conscientious when it comes to money.  This summer I'm going to have to tighten up the purse strings when I can.  However, there are certain purchases that don't count.  They are:

1. Half Price Books
2. Gym membership
3. Redbox rentals...seriously amazing how $1 can provide 2 hours of entertainment.
4. iTunes purchases...as an Apple shareholder, I'm only supporting myself, right? :)
5. Wine.  Grabbing a glass of wine in the evening for good conversation with a friend has become my new favorite pasttime.  My go to spot is Max's Wine Dive.  It all started when Lis and I had brunch there one Sunday in February.  We befriended our waiter, Joseph, as well as Kate (the Great).  Now, I go there at least once or twice a week and enjoy the VIP treatment.   My recommendation for a great "value" wine is the Petite Petit.  You won't regret it.

http://www.lodivineyards.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=67

No comments:

Post a Comment