Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Water Bottle's Journey Across the Ocean

Whoa?!?!...blog posts on consecutive days?  Go me! ;)

I received a very special care package from my wonderful college roommate Holly on Thanksgiving.   It made my day and reminded me how thankful I am to have the friends and family that I do.

After a consulting project my study group B2 did last year for one of the largest FMCG companies in the world, I've been fascinated with companies' ability to innovate.  We were reviewing some of the inhibitors of innovation for our client, and I learned a great deal about R&D and Marketing in consumer-oriented companies.  This is an example of how companies get it right.

This is a new water bottle that Brita launched.  (Yes, those are two laptops in the background.  Please don't judge.)  Basically, it's a dishwasher safe water bottle that has a special filter that screws on the underside of the cap.  Tap water is then as good as throw away bottled water.  Each filter lasts ~150 bottles.  The actual plastic Brita bottle retails for ~$10 and two-pack refills are ~$7 on Amazon.   Quite reasonable in my opinion.  Plus, this product makes it easier for people to be healthy (drink water vs. fizzy drinks) and green (less trash).  


I feel like the uber-cool early adopter on campus.  Only problem is that few know about Brita in this country. Mucho impressed with this product innovation.

No comments:

Post a Comment